SCHOOL VISIT INFORMATION
* Author has given 200 plus presentations at schools, libraries, conferences, PTA/PTO meetings, camps, workshops & author-in-residence. Special event? Ask me.
* Terrific educational program introducing students to the process of reading, researching & writing historical fiction while having fun. Highly recommended by educators, parents and kids.
* PowerPoint program is visually entertaining and exciting.
* If desired (optional) & only schools within a 50 mile radius -- the author's own Newfoundland dog can accompany her (either Teddy Bear or Miss Mouse.) Each dog has visited many schools & are completely gentle, reliable, safe & huggable. School decides if students may pet pooch or just a "walk by."
* Author brings many hands-on items: 1919 newspaper articles, 1919 weather maps (think Perfect Storm) crew manifest, Captain's log, life ring, hard tack, rock from shore. Photographs of ship before & after she sank, the baby saved in ship's mailbag, silver-engraved dog collar awarded to heroic dog, breeches buoy & search & rescue Newfoundland dogs. Additional books & stuffed NF dogs.
Grade Level: Excellent program for elementary or middle schools. Ages 7-12. Program often adjusted for younger or older students. Grades usually divided ( K-2), ( 3-5) , ( 6-8). Program & props are adjusted to their level of understanding.
Session Length: 50 to 60 minutes. Two or more sessions recommended. If Newfie comes, please try to schedule sessions back-to-back or close together as possible.
Session Size: Will do assemblies & combined groups. Much prefer smaller groups located in library/ media center. I'm flexible and will work with your school's particular situation.
Fees: Most of Northern Virginia: $ 495.00* Most of Maryland & Washington, DC: $ 595.00* * $ 100.00 each additional session Non-local- contact for prices. Some dates, special prices-contact for details
School Book Sales: Autographed books available directly from the author
Computer Quizzes/Books: Accelerated Reader (Houghton-Mifflin) Quiz # 36369, BL, 5.8 Scholastic Reading Counts: Item # Q20936, RL, 5.1 Lexile: 800L
Teaching Guide: www.peachtree-online.com